A secondary school student, Tope Oriloye, who was abducted on February 8 in Makeke Community, Akoko Edo Local Government Area of Edo State, has regained freedom after a ransom of N2 million was paid.
The National Coordinator of the Movement for the Advancement of Akoko Edo People, Bode Ekundayo, disclosed the development in a message on Thursday.
Oriloye was reportedly kidnapped by gunmen alongside Samuel Ilesanmi at a community health centre. Ilesanmi had accompanied his wife to the facility with their son when he was abducted.
Ekundayo expressed gratitude for the student’s safe return but noted that Ilesanmi, said to be from Ososo, remains in captivity.
“We all give thanks to God for the safe arrival of Tope Orilloye back home last night after payment of N2 million. She is safe, healthy, and unharmed.
“We are still awaiting the good news of the second victim, by God’s grace. He is from Ososo,” the message read.
The kidnappers had earlier contacted the families of the victims, demanding N100 million for their release before negotiations reportedly led to a reduction.
The Edo State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Eno Ikoedem, confirmed the student’s release on Friday.
She said, “I can confirm to you that Tope Oriloye has been released.”
The incident is one of several recent kidnapping cases reported in Edo State.
On January 9, seven indigenes of Imoga were abducted at a hotel along the Imoga Ibillo axis. The gunmen initially demanded N100 million, later reducing the amount to N70 million and subsequently N40 million following negotiations. The victims were eventually released on January 19.






